The purpose of this fund is to provide scholarships to deserving students from Virginia in the Surveying and Mapping Science program within the College of Business & Technology at East Tennessee State University.
An initial gift of $25,000 from the Virginia Surveyor's Foundation shall establish the endowment. Subsequent contributions shall be encouraged.
The following criteria shall be considered in awarding the scholarship.
- The student will be a resident of Virginia and express a desire to work in Virginia upon graduation.
- The student will be a major or will be planning to major in Surveying & Mapping Science.
- The student must have a 2.5 GPA out of 4.0 on all college work.
- The student must express the desire to further his/her career in some phase of the surveying profession.
- The student must have demonstrated a financial need for the scholarship funds.
In the event there are more applicants who meet the minimum criteria than scholarships available, all acceptable applications will be evaluated on the following basis:
- Is the applicant related to a member of the Virginia Association of Surveyors, Inc.?
- Is the applicant involved in extracurricular activities such as student government, athletics, student organizations, etc.?
- Is the applicant involved in the community such as church, scouting, volunteer work, etc.?
Application should be submitted to the Surveying & Mapping Faculty at East Tennessee State University.
Scholarships will be awarded by a committee comprised of the faculty from the Surveying and Mapping program and a representative from the Virginia Surveyors Foundation in conjunction with the Department Chair. If an award is not made, the funds will be carried forward to be used the next year. A report of award(s) shall be made annually to the Virginia Surveyor's Foundation.
John Foster Memorial Scholarship
- This application is made for the award year starting Fall _________________
- Student Name: Mr. Ms. ___________________________________________
(last) (first) (middle)
- Local address:_________________________________________________
- Permanent address: _________________________________________________
- Current approximate income (after taxes) from all sources, including grants & other scholarships? $____________________________________________
- Have you been awarded or will you apply for other scholarships for this same year? ( ) Yes ( ) No Amount expected $________________
- If yes, does this scholarship pay for tuition & fees directly? ( ) Yes ( ) No
- Is your tuition paid directly from other sources? (Parents, relatives, loans, etc.)? ( ) Yes ( ) No
a) Total credit hours accumulated prior to January 1 of the current year (include transfer credits) _______________________________________
b) Credit hours in Surveying major completed prior to January 1 of the current year (include transfer credits) _____________________________
c) Classification this semester ( ) Freshman ( ) Sophomore ( ) Junior ( ) Senior
d) Overall grade point average as of January 1 of the current year (include transfer credits) _________________________
NOTE: Attach an official copy of your current transcripts including the current semester.
- Are you currently enrolled as a full-time student for the BS in Surveying & Mapping Science? ( ) Yes ( ) No
- Do you intend to be enrolled as a full-time student for the BS in Surveying & Mapping Science starting next Fall? ( ) Yes ( ) No
- How many credit hours of course work do you need to complete your degree? ______________________________
- What is your expected graduation date? _________________________
- What activities have you pursued in addition to your studies while at college?_______________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________
- Attach a 300 word or fewer essay stating why you are pursuing an education in surveying, describe your goals and objectives in this profession, and what you feel you can contribute to the advancement of the profession.