Frequent Questions

Nov 28, 2006 at 10:53 am by staff

When Is A Surveyor Needed?

  • When land is bought or sold.
  • Before land is divided.
  • If a line or corner location is unknown or in dispute.
  • If money-lending agency requires a survey.
  • Before constructing a building or fence.
  • Before conveying a lot from a larger tract and the lot has not been surveyed.
  • Before cutting timber near a property line.
  • When you believe someone is encroaching on your land.
  • Establish easements and right-of-way.
    How Much Will My Survey Cost?Many factors involved:
  • Purpose of the survey and equipment needed.
  • Deed research required.
  • Number of unknown corners.
  • Existence of fences.
  • Vagueness of descriptions.
  • Number of acres.
  • Terrain and vegetation.
  • Accessibility.
  • Liability.
  • If the surveyor has made other surveys in the area.
  • If there are disputes over any lines.
  • You should receive from the surveyor schedule of rates travel and mileage expenses, cost of marker, paint, etc..
  • The surveyor may be able to give you an estimate of total cost, or a "high" or "low" figure, but he may not be bound by those figures.
  • Low cost surveys can be poor surveys. A good survey that meets your need and legal requirements may cost more but will be less expensive in the long run.
    What Can A Surveyor Do For Me?
  • Examine your deed and those of adjoiners and look for evidence on the ground to see if there are problems.
  • Advise if you actually need a survey.
  • Find and mark your corners properly.
  • Mark and paint lines.
  • Survey subdivisions, establish new corners and markers.
  • Make contour maps and show the elevations.
  • Locate oil/gas wells, buildings, fences, right-of-way, encroachments, other possession evidence.
  • Inform interested parties of the progress and results.
  • Cooperate with your attorney, realtor, banker,engineer or architect.
  • Appear in hearings as an expert witness.
    What Does The Surveyor Need From Me?
  • The purpose of the survey.
  • Your deed or a copy of it or the Book and Page where it is recorded in the County Clerk's Office, any Plats you have and information about location of corners and lines.
  • Brief history of ownership.
  • Name and address of adjoiners.
  • Information about disagreements over location of corners and lines.
    How Can I Obtain The Services Of A Licensed Land Surveyor?
  • Tennessee Association of Professional Surveyors Website www.taps-inc.com Click on Surveyor and search by license land surveyors, Phone: 615.860.9311 or e-mail us at  tapsinc_@bellsouth.net
  • Consult yellow pages of telephone directory.
  • Ask someone who has employed a surveyor.
  • Ask the Register of Deeds or attorney.

  • What Should I Receive From The Surveyor?
  • Work done in accordance with State laws, regulations and high standards of ethics.
  • Plat(s) showing all necessary information for recording.
  • A survey description that can be used in a deed.
  • Itemized statement for professional services rendered.
    What If I Have A Complaint About A Surveyor's Work?
  • Ask him to explain.
  • If it is a serious complaint, contact the Tennessee Board of Examiners for Land Surveyors  Tennessee Board of Examiners for Land Surveyors (tn.gov)l 500 James Robertson Parkway Davy Crockett Tower Nashville, TN 37243 Phone: 615.741.3611 Fax: 615.741.5995 Or e-mail morgan.calles@tn.gov
    What Can I Do To Protect My Property Lines And Markers?
  • Inspect the lines occasionally.
  • Retighten pipes and stone markers, do not relocate them.
  • Repaint marked trees, pipes or stone markers every ten years.
  • Record the plat and description even if land is not conveyed.
    Caution For Landowners
  • Don't mistake preliminary traverse lines for true lines.
  • Don't move or relocate markers.
  • Don't seek the cheapest surveyor; select one who will do a satisfactory job for you.
  • Contact the surveyor well before the survey is needed.